Examiner.com  

[ View Original Article ]
By: Radell Smith

On Sat., Jan. 21, 2012, the Dalton Daily Citizen reported that a 19-year-old girl who died in September, along with her fetus, did so due to an exploding meth bag according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.

Balloons containing meth are sometimes ingested by individuals being used as mules to bring illegal drugs through customs and across our countries borders, but it is also a common practice for some to swallow illegal drugs this way to avoid being found with the substances on their person during a traffic stop. This is a dangerous practice which can easily lead to overdose and death.

Murray County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy, Ray Sitton, said in September that Megan Michelle Long, along with two other passengers, had been pulled over in a traffic stop in Chatsworth, GA prior to the woman and her unborn child dying due to such an incident. According to Sitton, no charges were filed following the traffic stop and the meth-related death followed.

On Sept. 2, after being rushed to the hospital, Megan Long’s unborn daughter died as a result of Long’s ingestion of a meth bag and Megan Long died two days later according to a preliminary toxicology report by the GBI in November, which was substantiated by an autopsy conducted by the GBI crime lab later. “The official cause of death is ‘toxic effects of methamphetamine,” according to Deputy Coroner Alan Robbins, who says that “The Megan Long case investigation is now complete.”

Megan Long and her unborn daughter’s death investigation may have been concluded, but the danger of meth death due to ingestion of it in balloon containers is still a serious concern for those who battle the drug on the streets and around our country’s borders.

Any object swallowed by a human is always subject to the possibility of bursting, allowing its contents to filter into the blood stream and result in death.

References: Dalton Daily Citizen, GBI autopsy findings